8 Heart Of God Church Community Projects You May Not Have Known About6 min read
“Build bridges, not walls”, teach Senior Pastors, Tan Seow How and Cecilia Chan. In Heart of God Church (HOGC), we believe in doing our part for the community, with our friends in the community.
By: Sabrina C.
“Build bridges, not walls”, wisely taught by our Senior Pastors, Tan Seow How and Cecilia Chan in Heart of God Church (Singapore) to encourage members to make a difference in our community. As a church, we believe in doing our part for the community, with our friends in the community. Read on for a snippet of the community initiatives we are thankful to have been a part of!
1. Two of our HOGC leaders met President Halimah Yacob and other religious leaders at the International Conference on Cohesive Societies (ICCS) Young Leaders’ Programme
Two HOGC leaders had the chance to be a part of the ICCS Young Leaders’ Programme with 100 other delegates of different races and religions. Find out more as they discussed ways to strengthen social cohesion which includes precious insights from President Halimah Yacob.
2. Youths are leaders today: 9 Heart of God Church youths discuss national issues with former ESM Goh Chok Tong at a Post-National Day Rally Dialogue
Nine tertiary students from HOGC contributed their voices to national issues among leaders of the constituency and nation. Grassroots advisors of Marine Parade GRC including former Emeritus Senior Minister Goh Chok Tong were present to lead the discussions.
3. In the News: The young people from Heart of God Church were featured on Ch 5 News for their acts of kindness towards healthcare professionals on the front lines
Young people of HOGC showed acts of kindness to healthcare professionals in our Heart for Our Heroes initiative. Our Minister for Sustainability and the Environment, Grace Fu, and the Inter-Racial Religious Confidence Circle (IRCC) also shared our initiative on their social media. The local media got wind of our young people’s acts of kindness and it was also featured on national news outlets like Lianhe Zaobao and Channel 5 News.
4. Serving their community: Young volunteers from HOGC joined Minister in Prime Minister’s Office, Dr Maliki Osman to pass out medical supplies to over 500 beneficiaries in an Inter – Faith Community Project
Minister in Prime Minister’s Office, Second Minister for Education and for Foreign Affairs, Dr Maliki Osman got in on the action with our young volunteers from HOGC to spearhead an interfaith community initiative – giving out medical supplies to over 500 beneficiaries in the South East District of Singapore!
5. Heart of God Church on the Straits Times: A church, a mosque, a temple and a clan association teamed up for a Joint Blood Donation Drive
Minister for Culture, Community and Youth and Second Minister for Law, Mr Edwin Tong was the guest of honour at the joint blood donation drive, an initiative organised by HOGC and other religious organizations to join hands for a common purpose – saving lives.
6. Heart for Our Heroes: 750 care packs to appreciate the taxi drivers at Changi Airport together with Senior Parliamentary Secretary Baey Yam Keng
Featured on Channel 8 news, young people of HOGC, together with Senior Parliamentary Secretary, Ministry of Transport & Ministry of Culture, Community and Youth, Baey Yam Keng and volunteers from IRCC, distributed 750 care packs to taxi drivers at Changi Airport.
7. Giving With A Heart: $170,100 fund distributed to 144 members and their families to help them tide through COVID-19
Besides doing our part in the community, many times the need is right here in HOGC. Hence, Heart Community Services COVID Relief Fund was raised, disbursing over $170,100 in financial aid to 144 members and families to help them tide through this difficult season. Read more about the collection of COVID Relief stories from our beneficiaries.
8. HOGC donation drive helps youths to thrive, not just survive
In HOGC, we have a tradition of running a donation drive where members would not just donate old laptops or phones but brand new ones! Find out how one of the many young people benefitted from this initiative.
All in all, each of us can do our part for the community, to be the embodiment of God’s love to the people around us. HOGC, let’s continue to make a difference… it starts with us!